|New wiki theme!||7/8/20|
|For more see: Recent Changes.|
Welcome to the Game Making Tools Wiki!
The purpose of this wiki is to collect together information and resources on as many game making tools as possible, and make all that accessible and relevant to amateur game making people and people who would like to make games (et cetera).
I hope you find it useful! ~~
For Game Makers / People Who Would Like to Make Games
- You may find Zoe Quinn's Sortinghat tool useful. By answering a few questions it will recommend you some programs you might like to try. It's gotten pretty out-of-date though, it sure would be nice if someone made a new one ;3
- This wiki's Guide section.
- Trying your luck with a random page.
For Wiki Contributors / How To Help
- Fix any errors or make any other edits to pages!
- Make a page on something, even if it's just a few links!
- You can't break anything, do whatever you think is best!
- Consult the Media Wiki User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.
- Take a look at, and give feedback on, the Style Guide.
- Feel free to contact Rylie if you have any feature requests of questions.
- Note that you can embed videos with the instructions here
- If a page you're on raises questions, feel free to post them on the 'Discussion' page, and I'll try to address them in the main article.
- Nothing here's really set in stone yet, so throw whatever ideas you want at me: terminology, wiki name, URL, design, organisational stuff, other extensions, etc. etc.
Other Web Resources
- Game Creation Tools does a good job of gathering together a big range of game making tools, but does a poor job of actually being useful to people making games.
- Ambrosine's Game Creation Resources is mostly just a big list of links. The term 'authorware' is a nice one.
- Game Creation Software on The Internet Archive.
- Game Creation Tools on Free Games List.
- Procedural Content Generation Wiki - info on using procedural generation in games.
- Online Game Development - Contemporary list of browser-based tools.
- Awesome Gamedev - Long list of free software and assets for game making.
- You Must Make and Play Games - Well described list of beginner-friendly tools and resources covering a good variety of game-making approaches.
- The wonderful world of tools made by small teams, solo-devs, and shareware (weird, beautiful, and experimental things to be creative in + an analysis on building for approachability) - Great article, by Nathalie Lawhead, on game making tools.
- Open source, experimental, and tiny tools roundup - Big, filterable, list of all sorts of game-making-related software, by Everest Pipkin and contributors.
- No Time To Play - Regular newsletter for game makers. Info on tools, articles, etc.